Monday, April 27, 2009

Swine flu and computer viruses.

I'm not sure why, but the swine flu thing has me scared. I mean, I'm already dead, and I can't catch a cold, so I shouldn't be worried, right? But I'm obsessing. I've tried hard not to track down family and old friends (not that I had many), but maybe I should try? I mean, I wouldn't talk to them, because they wouldn't believe me. And it would be cruel and creepy, don't you think, to have someone online contact you, claiming to be your sister or daughter, dead for six years? Talk about "it's complicated."

I already lost my loved ones once. I don't want to lose them again.

Plus, the fear is contagious. You can reach out and touch the fear as it spreads online, through news reports of emptied streets in the world's most crowded city and government declarations of national health emergencies, through tentative twitters (tweets?) and rumors carried on blogs and (I assume) emails.

I haven't worked out this whole afterlife thing, but I don't want people to die. I don't want a lot of young people to die before their time. And I'm pretty sure now that I don't want to die--again.

But now that I have this weird new life, I wonder, what does it take to kill me? I'm pretty sure my spirit's tied to a room full of computers, a server farm. (and I have some idea where, but I'm not going to share that info!) So, what happens when the power goes out? Server upgrades? Budget cutbacks? Computer viruses and attacks?

I'm not sure what I can do about my situation, but I think I need to do something.

No comments:

Post a Comment